What's new at Mills Haven Dental?
Advantage Arrest (SDF)
What is it?
Silver Diamine Flouride (SDF) is a liquid that can be used as a non invasive approach to arrest tooth decay. It can also help alleviate sensitivity. This agent is antimicrobial as well as can slow or stop further demineralization of tooth structure.
When is it used?
Dentists may recommend this treatment in the following situations:
- Around margins of areas that have been previously restored.
- When a patient has cavities that are difficult to access, poor access to regular dental care or if you are at high risk of developing cavities.
- As an interim step to slow decay due to length of treatment plan or referral to specialist.
- In cases where a cavity cannot be restored without sedation due to age or disability.
- Under large or deep restorations.
How is it used?
The area is isolated and the liquid is applied with a brush or floss depending on the area being treated. No anesthesia is required and the patient can return to normal function immediately.
The area that is decayed (cavity) will stain brownish/black. It will not stain healthy areas.
This procedure can usually be completed in under 5 minutes and is suitable for all ages. Reapplication intervals may be recommended by your provider to maximize effectiveness.
If you have any questions regarding this treatment or to see if this treatment is right for you, please call the office to speak to a team member.