Sherwood Park Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers are a professional cosmetic dentistry procedure that allows a more natural finish and can give a great aesthetic look. Veneers are not only used to fix cavities or broken teeth but can also be used to improve the look of healthy teeth. Veneers are applied to the entire front surface of the tooth and can change teeth colour, shape, angle or spacing. With veneers, your dentist can fix teeth that are broken, chipped or cracked, that have spaces between them or that are discoloured. Cosmetic dental treatment such as veneers can improve your smile and give you more confidence.
What Are Porcelain Veneers For?
- Discoloration - From staining, medication, health issues or previous treatments, veneers can cover the discoloration to restore your smile.
- Damage and Wear - If you have worn down your teeth, for example from excessive grinding or you have broken or chipped them, veneers can alter or restore the shape and function of the tooth.
- Bridging Gaps - For those with larger gaps (not missing teeth) veneers can close teeth together to avoid unsightly gaps, which can improve dental health and avoid food and debris from getting stuck.
- Cosmetic Alteration - If you want to make aesthetic changes such as the shape or size of your teeth, veneers can be a less intrusive alternative to crowns.
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
- Natural appearance
- Stain resistant
- They are comfortable
- Veneers require minimal changes to natural teeth compared to crowns as only a thin layer of enamel is removed
- They are accepted well by the gum tissue
- They can last many years if properly cared for
What Does The Procedure Involve?
Generally, 2-3 appointments will be needed to have your veneers fitted, although this can differ according to the practitioner and circumstances.
- Imaging and Examination - A dental examination is done to assess the health of the teeth and the gums. Your dentist will explain the process and check your teeth to ensure that veneers would be suitable for you. If veneers are a suitable treatment option, molds or impressions are taken of the teeth for treatment planning.
- Temporary Fittings and Preparation - Your dentist will prepare your teeth by moving a thin layer of enamel on your teeth so that the veneers would fit in place (with anesthetic). They will then take more molds of your prepared teeth to send to the laboratory to have your veneers fabricated. You will be fitted with temporary veneers to wear during the transition time.
- Fitting - The final appointment involves bonding and fitting the veneers (2-3 weeks after the preparation appointment). The dentist will try in the veneers and make any final adjustments and polishing as required. The veneers will then be cemented and fixed into place.
It is important to note that veneers are susceptible to decay in the same way as natural teeth are so good oral hygiene will still need to be maintained.
For a consultation and outline of our services or to talk to a member of our team about getting porcelain veneers fitted, visit our website and contact us today.